Sunday 12 February 2012

Sugar Crafted Scottish Thistle

When I was asked to create a cake that had a rose and thistle spray I jumped at the chance!  I love making roses and I had no idea how thistles were made - so what a great opportunity to find out!  I found it quite difficult to find anything online about how to make them and had almost lost hope... but I came across this thistle making kit by rainbow sugarcraft.  It's a bit annoying if you already have some of the materials needed, but in the set you get everything you need to make a scottish thistle, at great value and with directions too!  Here is the linkhttp://www.rainbowsugarcraft.co.uk/shop/Scottish_Thistle_Designer.htm


This is a picture of the thistle spray that you can buy from the rainbow sugar craft website. It's quite nice, but personally, I think it is a bit life-less and boring.  But it gives you a good idea of what to aim for when putting the thistle together.  I used some brown dusting powder to make the spikes a bit more life-like and textured.
Cameron Tartan
And below is a picture of my finished cake!  I was really pleased with it and particularly enjoyed making the red berries!  I wanted it to match the ribbon that they chose to go on the cake, which was cameron tartan, in the picture above.

As you can see, it was a 40th wedding anniversary - and what a lovely project it was!  
Happy Anniversary Mary and John!  I hope the cake was enjoyed!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie-Anne,

    Your thistles turned out lovely! Thank you so much for the link to www.rainbowsugarcraft.co.uk

    Happy Sugarcrafting - Mandi

    ReplyDelete