Monday 6 February 2012

Amazingly-moist-chocolatey-chocolate sponge recipe

Welcome to my blog!  It has been a pretty hectic couple of months with the launch of Uttingly Scrumptious!  As well as exploring the world of business I have been continuing my adventures in the world of cake creation.... sooooo many things to try and so little time!  I am sure you all know what I mean!  :)
I started trading on December 1st last year and since then my most popular product so far has been my chocolate sponge!  It is a lovely, moist recipe and you can use it in cakes and cupcakes!  Originally I started it with Ferraro Rochers in it (yes!  Whole Ferraro Rocher chocolates inside the cupcake!  Delicious!)  and then I started using it for everything.  The special moist-maker ingredient is buttermilk.  Anyone who is American will have used this a lot...however, in England we don't really know it exists!  But you can find it with the cream in the dairy aisle of any supermarket!  :)  Here is the recipe...
2 cups Plain Flour
2 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup cocoa (a really good type!)
2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup corn oil (you can use vegetable, but I prefer to use corn oil because it has no flavour)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
If you are going to use this for cupcakes make sure you only fill them just over half full because it rises a lot!
Sift the dry ingredients together and mix in a bowl.  Mix the wet ingredients together in another bowl.  Add the wet to the dry and mix on a high speed for 2 minutes until well combined.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the tops are firm at 180C.  Keep a close eye on them because you don't want to over-cook them and make them dry out.
The only problem I have with this recipe is that it rises in strange directions and I usually have to tidy the sponge up a bit if I use it for cupcakes.  I was thinking of trying it with slightly less raising agent.  If anybody has any ideas then please let me know!

Don't forget to keep updated on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/UttinglyScrumptious and my website www.uttinglyscrumptious.co.uk.

Happy baking!
Carrie-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment