Sunday 12 February 2012

The baby bootie cake!


My amazing friend Katy gave birth to her second daughter, Roberta, on Thursday 27th October.  They are a Latter Day Saint family and as a proud friend I wanted to do something special for Roberta's blessing day, which was last Sunday, the 5th February.  I found a bootie cutter and came up with the design of daisies and butterflies and Roberta's name along the base.  

Here is a close up of the baby booties.  They are made from sugar paste.  I got the cutter set from www.surbitonart.co.uk.  The set comes with directions too...very helpful!  I found the most difficult part was to get the laces long and thin enough!


I knew there were going to be quite a few children at the post-blessing party, so I did a simple vanilla sponge cake on the bottom and a lemon drizzle cake on the top for the grown-ups.  Katy set aside the booties, I think they are going to keep them. The cake was devoured!  Both the lemon and vanilla and most of the daises and butterflies too!  haha!

This was my first attempt at using royal icing on a base.  I have always covered bases with regal icing before, but I like the finish that royal icing gives.  At first I found it impossible, until I realised that my icing was too thick!  It has to be really runny so that you literally pour it onto the base and it settles on the base with a lovely, smooth finish!

Congratulations to the Gosling family!x

No comments:

Post a Comment